Called also MX-220II or MX-220-2 --> ESP M (Metallica) X (eXplorer) - 220 (price in yen) II (2 pickups)
- year: from 1989 to 1992 (1987 first made only for James), Japan Custom Shop - Special/Custom Order
- MSRP: Y220/250/270 ~ $3000/3300
- shape: between the Gibson Explorers 1958 and 1976, but with headstock like a "banana"
- construction: set neck (the first made have a step where the neck joins the body, similar to a Gibson explorer)
- neck: mahogany
- body: mahogany
- fingerboard: rosewood 22 frets XJ with pearl dot inlays, 24.75" scale (628mm)
- electronics: active EMG 81 (bridge) / 81 (neck), 1 Volume, 1 Tone, Toggle 3 way selector
- hardware: Gotoh tuners, ABR-1 Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar
- logos and serials:
-- front of headstock: "ESP Custom" light grey/gold glittered logo for black guitars, black/gold glittered for white guitars
-- back of headstock: XXXXXXXX (8 digits) serial number stamped in white or black (NO "ESP Custom Guitars" circle logo). Some of the early models have nothing (no serial) on back of the headstock.
For now I've tracked this guitars:
1989 - 080190XX - BLACK;
XXXX9XXX - GREY SPARKLE;
270690XX - GREY SPARKLE (No step, square input jack plate)
1990 - (no records till now)
1991 - 080513XX - BLACK
230814XX - BLACK (250 headstock)
1992 - 140522XX - WHITE with trem.
IF YOU HAVE AN MX-220 PLEASE CONTACT ME!
colors and other features: olympic white, black, grey sparkle
- notes: This is the most rare Esp Explorer...hard to find today...
Input jacks are round and recessed into the body in early models, from 1990 there's a plate held by four screws, the truss rod cover changed to a 2 screw Gibson style which was no longer flush with the nut but everything else stayed the same including the step in the neck.
1989-1991 - "EET FUK" (Limited Run about 25 pieces, only 5 with step)
- front of headstock: "ESP Custom" black/gold glittered logo;
- back of headstock: 6 or 7 or 8 digits serial number stamped in black (NO "ESP Custom Guitars" circle logo)
There's 3 different version of the EET FUK:
1st version - 1989 - rounded bell truss rod cover, flat neck to hedstock, step where the neck joins the body, round input jack plate
For now I've tracked these:
07 - 1989/06/14 - 140697XX - 2nd version
08 - 1989/06/16 - 160698XX - 2nd version
11 - 1990/09/17 - 03750X - 2nd version
15 - 1991/01/31 - 310110XX - 3rd version
Example of ESP MX-220 EET FUK "1st version"
Example of ESP MX-220 EET FUK "2nd version"
Example of ESP MX-220 EET FUK "3rd version"