- MSRP: Y250/270 ~ $3000/3300 (today a custom order in Japan can cost $6000/$7000)
- shape: respect MX-220 have more sharp points (no banana headstock), slightly longer body (bottom strap button to tip of headstock), switch moved further away from the volume pots, no step in the neck. Gibson style single screw bell shaped truss rod cover changed in 1997 to bullet style truss rod cover
- construction: set neck (no step between body and neck)
- neck: mahogany
- body: mahogany
- fingerboard: ebony 22 frets XJ with pearl dot inlays, 24.75" scale (628mm)
- electronics: active EMG 81 (bridge) / 81 (neck), Volume, Tone, Toggle 3 way selector
- hardware: Gotoh tuners, ABR-1 Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar. At some point in 2006 they change from ABR-1 (slim) to Nashville (fat) bridge.
- logos and serials:
-- front of headstock: "ESP Custom" light grey/gold glittered logo for black guitars, black/gold glittered for white guitars
-- back of headstock: XXXXXXXX (8 digits) serial number stamped in white or black (NO "ESP Custom Guitars" circle logo).
You can deduct the production data from the serial (or papers if you have it).
BELL truss rod cover was changed to BULLET after 1996
1991 --> 151115XX (bell);
1992 --> XXXX21XX (bell);
1993 --> 250230XX (bell); 19033XXX (bell); 24043XXX (bell)
1994 --> ...
1995 --> 150352XX (bell);
1996 --> 150464XX (bell); 231067XX (bell)
1997 --> ...at some point in this year they change from BELL to BULLETT truss rod cover.
1998 --> 161080XX;
1999 --> 271090XX; 050392XX;
2000 --> 17020185; 080100XX; K00XXXXX (new serial code)(DISCONTINUED!)
2001 --> K01XXXXX (hereafter only for Japan custom order)
2002 --> K02XXXXX
2003 --> K03XXXXX
2004 --> K04XXXXX
2005 --> K05XXXXX
2006 --> K06XXXXX at some point in this year they change from ABR-1 to Nashville bridge.
2007 --> K07XXXXX
2008 --> K08XXXXX
2009 --> K09XXXXX
2010 --> K10XXXXX; T10XXXXX (custom shop in Takada)
2011 --> K11XXXXX
2012 --> K12XXXXX
2013 --> K13XXXXX
2014 --> K14XXXXX (start "ESP Custom" world gold logo in back of headstock)
2015 --> K15XXXXX
If you have other records please help me!!
- colors and other features: Black, Olympic White, Snow White, .... etc...
- notes: This is the most famous model that James Hetfield use.
N.02 - made in 1992
SERIAL: 14072XXX (so it was made on July 14, 1992)
N.04 - made in 1992
This guitar was a custom ordered in 1994 by Armand Crump (Kerry King's guitar tech and great collector, died in 2012).
It has the white glittered ESP circle logo in the back of the headstock (like the EXP) and Sperzel tuners
Example of MX-250 version with BULLETT style truss rod cover
[only custom order, about only 3 pieces made]