2003 - GIBSON Les Paul Custom "Iron Cross" (1973)
called "Uncle Milty"
- year: 1973
- shape: Les Paul
- construction: set neck
- neck: maple
- body: mahogany
- fingerboard: ebont, 24 XJ frets with block inlays, 24,75" scale
- electronics: active EMG 81 (bridge) / 60 (neck), 2 Volumes, 1 Tone, Toggle 3 way selector in the position of the 2nd tone (upper standard switch inactive)
- hardware: Gibson Tune-O-Matic bridge (ABR-I) and tailpiece, Sperzel locking tuners, gold distressed hardware
- logos and serials:
-- front of headstock: "Gibson" mother of pearl logo
-- back of headstock: Gibson standard serial number (n.?)
- colors and other features: black with gold stripe and Iron Cross decoration, double binded body, neck and headstock, black distressed finish
- notes: James played it for the first time in 2002 at the Oakland Rders gig. Then it had only the gold distressed cross but after that he added the gold stripe. It was known as the "Fuel" les paul or "uncle milty". It was used live a lot from 2003 to 2006 and you can see the evolving of distressing over the years.
In 2007 was used as base for the 2008 Esp Iron Cross.