Gibson Explorer "Shred-X" ebony
LIMITED EDITION 1000 pieces- year: 2008
- MSRP: $ ...
- shape: Explorer 1984 Design (no pickguard)
- construction: Set-Neck
- neck: mahogany
- body: mahogany
- fingerboard: ebony 22 frets, black dot inlays, 24 3/4 scale, nut width 1-11/16", fretboard radius 12"
- electronics: active EMG 85 (bridge) / 85 (neck), 2 Volume controls, 1 tone, toggle 3 way selector
- hardware: Kahler tremolo system bridge, Grover locking tuners
- logos and serials:
-- front of headstock: "Gibson" gold logo
-- back of headstock: "XXX" printed in white (consecutive from 000 to 999) + XXXXXXXXX MADE IN USA 2008 standard serial punched
- colors and other features: Ebony black with black headstock, black hardware, black knobs
- notes: Weight 9.0 lbs / 4.1 kg , very similar to Hetfield MX-250 guitar, but with some differences, like the position of the knobs and more pointed headstock.
Gibson USA’s Guitar of the Month for June 2008
This Shred-X Explorer is Gibson USA's June 2008 Guitar of the Month. Since decades, the Gibson Explorer has been a coveted workhorse guitar among the ranks of the world's best hard rock and heavy metal players. Now, this Explorer model takes it up a notch, with its one-piece mahogany body outfitted with black chrome hardware, and a classic Ebony finish.
The pair of EMG 85 active pickups deliver the output needed for hard rock and metal, and the Kahler 2215K tremolo bridge ensures there will be no intonation or tuning issues when dive bombing chords and notes. The neck is also one-piece mahogany with Gibson's traditional '50s rounded profile, topped with an ebony fingerboard with black acrylic dot inlays unique only to the Shred-X model, and Grover locking tuners.
The toggle switch has been relocated to where it used to be on the Explorers from the 1980s, allowing easier access to quick pickup switching. The Shred-X Explorer comes with its custom Gibson USA Guitar of the Month 2008 case. Its production was limited to only 1,000 guitars.