- shape: respect MX-220 have more sharp points (no banana headstock), slightly longer body (bottom strap button to tip of headstock), switch moved further away from the volume pots, no step in the neck. Single screw bell shaped truss rod cover changed in 1997 to bullet style truss rod cover.
- construction: set neck (no step between body and neck)
- neck: mahogany
- body: mahogany (39mm thick)
- fingerboard: ebony 22 frets XJ with pearl dot inlays, 24.75" scale (628mm)
- electronics: active EMG 81 (bridge) / 81 (neck), Volume, Tone, Toggle 3 way selector
- hardware: Gotoh tuners, Gotoh ABR-1 Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar.
- logos and serials:
-- front of headstock: "ESP Custom" light grey/gold glittered logo for black guitars, black/gold glittered for white guitars
-- back of headstock: XXXXXXXX (8 digits) serial number stamped in white or black (NO "ESP Custom Guitars" circle logo), follow the ESP Serial Numbers Legenda.
You can deduct the production data from the serial (or papers if you have it).
1992 - (D)DMM2NNN → ex. 270722XX
1993 - (D)DMM3NNN → ex. 24043XXX It appears officially in the 1993 catalog.
1998 - (D)DMM8NNN → ex. 161080XX
1999 - (D)DMM9NNN → ex. 050392XX In September 1999 they changed from ABR-1 (slim) to Nashville (fat) bridge.
2002 - K02WWDNN
2003 - K03WWDNN
2004 - K04WWDNN
2005 - K05WWDNN
2006 - K06WWDNN
2007 - K07WWDNN
2008 - K08WWDNN
2009 - K09WWDNN
2010 - K10WWDNN; T10WWDNN;
2011 - K11WWDNN
2012 - K12WWDNN
2013 - K13WWDNN
2014 - K14WWDNN start to use "ESP Custom" world gold logo in back of headstock
2015 - K15WWDNN
2016 - ENNNN162 new serial code
2017 - ENNNN172
2018 - ENNNN182
- colors and other features: Black, Olympic White, Snow White. They comes out with leather gigbag, optional was the ESP hardcase.
- notes: This is the most famous model that James Hetfield use. To the new design of the MX-220 was given the name MX-250.
N.02 - made in 1992
SERIAL: 14072XXX (made on July 14, 1992)
N.04 - made in 1992
- 1994 custom ordered by Armand Crump (Kerry King's guitar tech and great collector, died in 2012).
Some differernces between this one and others:
- white glittered ESP circle logo in the back of the headstock (like the EXP model for example);
- some differences into the inlays (less sharp);
- sperzel locking tuners.
Example of a 1999 custom order MX-250 SNAKES, on the "Check Card" is called: MX-CST.SNAKES. Thanks to "Patrick Emmanuel"
Example of a 2003 standard MX-250 with fretboard replacement. Thanks to "Patrick Emmanuel"
Example of MX-250 version with BULLETT style truss rod cover
Example of MX-250 WHITE version with BULLETT style truss rod cover
only custom order, about 3 pieces made