2012 - Epiphone 1984 Explorer EX (SN)
- year: 2012 - 2019
- MSRP: $499 - €599
- shape: Explorer 1984 Design (no pickguard)
- construction: Set-Neck
- neck: mahogany SlimTaper™ “D” Profile
- body: mahogany
- fingerboard: rosewood 22 frets, pearloid dot inlays, 24.75” scale, 12” radius, 1.68” nut width
- electronics: active EMG 81 (bridge) / 85 (neck), 1-Master Volume, 1-Master Tone, 1-Bridge Volume, Battery 9-volt, hinged compartment in back, Pickup selector Epiphone all-metal 3-way toggle switch
- hardware: Bridge Epiphone LockTone™ Tune-O-Matic and Epiphone Tailpiece StopBar, Machine Heads Grover® with small metal buttons
- logos and serials:
-- front of headstock: "Epiphone" white logo
-- back of headstock: XXXXXXXXX serial printed or stickered (made in China) + "Limited Edition Custom Shop Epiphone" logo
- colors and other features: Color Alpine White (AW) with black headstock, ebony (EB), Black Hardware, black knobs, Typical Weight (+/- 5%) 8.3 lbs
- notes: a reissue similar to the ESP MX-220 guitar, but with some differences... I thing Gibson want a little revenge with this uncommon positionon of the knobs copied from the ESP MX-220.
The futurist 1984 Explorer EX is "1984" come to life with a classic form that stands out on stage. Originally introduced in 1958, the Explorer's radical and futuristic body shape has since been adopted as the instrument of choice for hard rock and metal players. With a sleek new update of the classic design combined with high output EMG pickups, the "1984" is a whole new Explorer.
The 1984 Explorer EX features a solid Mahogany body for a light but balanced weight that's perfect for long hours on stage and in rehearsal. Mahogany is an excellent tone wood that gives the Explorer EX biting sustain when played at loud volume. The Mahogany neck is hand-fitted and glued into the body and features a 24.75" scale, 22 medium jumbo frets, a 1.68" nut width, and a 12" radius. You'll also notice the "1984" Explorer has no pickguard, giving the guitar a sleek, uncluttered and modern look.
Controls feature all black hardware with Master Volume and Master Tone which makes blends and volume adjustments easy. The 1984 Explorer EX includes Epiphone's trademark LockTone™ Tune-o-matic bridge and LockTone™ StopBar tailpiece, which provide solid string tension and quick tuning accuracy. Tuners are Grover® with metal buttons and Epiphone's own exclusive non-rotating heavy-duty output jack.